Features of Analog Panel Meters Offered by Jewel Instruments
We believe the following features of our devices make them superior to several competitors’ models in the market.
- Our A&M series analog panel meters feature ruggedized construction and meet the requirements of MIL-M-16034 and MIL-M-19261 standards. The transducers from these series are offered as self-contained or with an external transducer as a matched set depending on your needs. This series also features analog switchboard meters.
- Emico series analog panel meters are compact-sized and often used as a miniature null-type zero-center tuning indicator or a go/no-go type circuit condition indicator.
- Jewell series analog panel meters stand out due to their black case and glass windows. These panel meters are suited for industrial applications and are available in square and round shapes.
- All our analog panel meters are suited for avionics applications, and are offered in custom-designed inputs and scales to meet your application requirements.
Tips to Choose the Right Analog Panel Meters for Your Application
Analog panel meters offer a visual level indication and feature a dial with a moving pointer, scale, or needle, which indicates the corresponding process variable with a change in input value. Generally, these devices accept a single input, but they may accept multiple inputs, too. When they accept multiple inputs, these devices are known as multiple channel analog panel meters. Choosing the right analog panel meter can be difficult owing to the variety in designs. The following pointers will be helpful in this context.
- Function of the Meter: As said before, analog panel meters can be used to measure different process variables, thus, are named after their function. For instance, the voltmeter is used to measure the voltage of the device, power meter for current, energy meter for energy, and so on. So, first, start the selection by addressing the function of the analog meter.
- Meter Mechanisms: Analog panel meters follow two types of meter mechanisms – pivot and jewel, as well as taut band. In pivot and jewel analog meters, a pointer and coil is usually suspended to fit into two bearings of jewels. These meters are generally used for measuring AC. On the contrary, a taut band suspends a needle or a pointer between two metal ribbons and helps improve meter sensitivity by reducing friction. Taut band meters are commonly used to measure DC current. Among these, taut band devices are more preferred in environments where they may be exposed to the high level of vibrations and disturbances. Although pivot and jewel analog meters can withstand challenging environments, they are not appropriate for applications that demand a high level of accuracy.
- Channels: Analog panel meters can be availed with one or multiple channels. The devices with one channel can measure one variable in a single unit, while the devices with multiple channels can measure more variables across units. For instance, some analog meters with one channel can measure DC in volts, while ones with multiple channels can measure AC in millivolts and volts.
- Face Types: The analog meters can be availed in different face types such as standard, rectangular, round, and edgewise styles. Among these, round meters can be availed in different face diameters, rectangular ones are available in various face diameters and face heights. Standard devices will feature panel cutout diameter or barrel. Edgewise models feature a straight scale, however, round, rectangular, and edgewise models feature curved scales.
- Displays: All analog panel meters feature pointers, which move mechanically on change in input. These meters may feature illumination, which makes it easy to see them in low light conditions. Height of scale markings must be considered for clear visibility.
At Jewell Instruments, we possess huge market experience spanning over 80 years in industrial and commercial panel meter solutions. Our product lines are conceived to meet the highly precise measurement requirements across each industry we serve. We believe there is no standard solution that works for all clients, which is why we offer a high level of customizability for our products. Our experts work with clients closely to understand their requirements before suggesting solutions. Feel free to get in touch with our team today to discuss your requirements. Our experts will help you find the right solution for your needs.